Thursday, June 21, 2018

March - The Home Strech

March & April

       By March I had met my match; multiple choice. March had begun quite okay. We had begun preparing for a debate on gun control and, despite some miscommunications over the written essay, we had a successful tie by the end. The debate was a fun way to showcase my passion for argument and forming rebuttals. Once the debate was over however, we began the dreaded multiple choice review.
   

     Multiple choice is a safe haven for many in tests and quizzes as answers are practically provided. For me, I would much rather write a five paragraph essay than answer fifty multiple choice questions. To this, AP Language prep questions were no exception. The questions themselves ranged in difficulty and were overall manageable, however each one required attention and revision that I always ran out of time on. I reassured myself that the multiple choice only made up part of my grade and Ms. McMahon reminded us 50% of the multiple choice would still allow us to pass with good essays. I worked hard to bring up my multiple choice average and eventually did, however I still struggle with the time management. 
  
    In addition to preparing me for the AP exam, AP Lang has taught me how to accept failure as well. Last year, I would be extremely upset at any grade lower than an A-. With new responsibilities of work, driving, and clubs I have realized that every last grade will not define who I am. Now, a less than exciting grade simply motivates me to try harder and bring it up next time. I have learned to make time to put my health and wellness first, while recognizing academics as extremely important. Although I run out of time on multiple choice, AP Lang has strengthened my time management in life. In order to complete assignments properly I have disciplined myself to get work done on time and more efficiently. This has been crucial to my junior year as Every week is busier than the last. March and April were full of preparation for SATs and AP exams, Lang was simply an engine to focus and challenge procrastination.


    After multiple choice we approached our last unit of synthesis essays. Synthesis was not my favorite style and I did worse than with RAs and Argument, however taking AP US history had previously prepared me through DBQs. The essays involve using sources to take a stance on a given topic and prove one's reasoning. I liked being given the facts needed to answer the questions and the topics resembled those of argument prompts I had practiced. I began to write my pieces in pen in preparation for the test. Synthesis turned out to be less scary once I had gotten used to the format, just like RAs. Finally, in late April we completed our last unit and began to review for the Exam in May. I felt as though the test covered lots of material, however I knew that our class had worked hard to prepare and felt ready.


Synthesis Essay

(We often peer edited each others pieces and in this one my classmates had given me fives and sixes. The seven on top was from Ms.McMahon. So confident in our skills we had begun to grade harshly, with even higher expectations for each other than our teacher. In a prep video we had watched, a teacher told students to aim for a six. In H406, everyone aimed for a nine.)




No comments:

Post a Comment